My 2 favorite cartridges. I have 2 308s (Remington Model 7 with some lightweight upgrades and a BLR) and a 270Win (Remington 700).

If you look at this from a rifle (instead of cartridge) stand point, the 308 gives you more versatility in gun selection. It can be built to standard specs, but the shorter chamber and more efficient powder use let you make a shorter, lighter gun. The 308 is also inherently accurate, which is why a lot of long-range rifles are chambered for it, making it possible to use the 308 in a tactical gun without having to buy custom, and you can still get a 20” barrel without much performance loss.

As far as the round itself, it has a lot of good things going for it. First, it’s been adopted as a NATO cartridge meaning you can get surplus ammo cheap and in bulk, if that interests you. It’s also a very efficient powder burner. Both of my 308s have a 20” barrel, but with my reloads I get velocity nearly identical to my 30-06 (22” barrel) using same weight bullets, BUT I’m using 9 grains of powder less than in the ‘06. It also has a very large selection of bullets, especially for reloaders. I think they make .308 bullets all the way down to 110gr, and all the way up to 240. Not every bullet weight makes sense in a 308Win, but the option is still there.