I've only owned one .270. It shot the 130 grain ballistic tips (incredibly) well but didn't do well with accubonds or X bullets and not real well with partitions. It was huntable, I guess, with the 150 partitions, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

I've owned three .308s. The first two sucked pretty bad. The only reason I bought the third was I already had dies and brass on hand left over from the previous rifles and I decided for my intended use, if it was as accurate as a lever action .30-30 it would get the job done. I even assumed it wouldn't work well and picked up a low powered scope for brush use. It has been an incredibly pleasant surprise.

I don't know, starting from scratch, that I'd pick .308 over .270, not sure I'd do it the other way, either. I would have to look at what the niche was, what cartridges I had larger and smaller, and see what fit the gap best. I could not consider either one without looking at 7mm-08, .280AI, and 7mm Rem Mag in the same vein; if the critter list stopped at deer, I'd have to throw in some .25s and some 6.5s, if it included elk I'd have to include bigger .30s and the .338, maybe even .375 H&H for style points. In the end, most of what we have available will work fine with today's bullets. Most opinions were formed from a single instance at best, not a representative sample, and that's really all they are .. opinions, not fact.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...