Originally Posted by Hammerdown
The faster is moves the faster it stops. - Right.

Although it doesn't make sense to many. it is often the case that the same bullet driven fast will stop sooner than the same bullet driven slower.

Which of these two loads do you think will penetrate more one gallon water jugs?

1. .45-70, 460g hardcast @ 1812fps, 3354fpe
2. .45-70, 300g hardcast @ 1167fps, 907fpe

The "obvious" choice is also the wrong one.

In my testing the 460g hardcast penetrated 9 water jugs, stopping in the last one. Damage was extensive, with most jugs spectacularly blown up, and included breaking the crosspiece on the front sawhorse holding the board that held the water jugs.

Damage was far less impressive with the 300g bullet, which blew up a jug or two but left leaking entrance and exit holes in the others. Total penetration was 11 jugs with an exit in the last one.

If you're thinking this was a one-off test result, you would be mistaken. Similar results on multiple trips to the range. I've never caught the slower 300g bullet because i run out of board to rest the water jugs on.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.