As mentioned above, the short action.

I don't now,nor have I ever, subscribed to the inherent accuracy theory. A chit barrel is a chit barrel. I don't care what's stamped on the side. The 308 is less likely to be finicky,but not a guarantee simply because it's a 308. Likewise, not likely to shoot both ends of the bullet spectrum equally as well. I think it was Tony Boyer that said a great barrel just shoots great.

If you spend enough time exercising your loonyism, you'll come across the occasional rifle,of whatever chambering, that just flat shoots whatever you stuff in it. These are rifles to hang on to. Be it budget or custom. The right blank,chambered on the right end,and properly married to the rest of the component parts. Makes for a dream rig to be around. Good cold bore accuracy. Not limited to either end of the velocity spectrum. The truth be told. I've had more 7 Rem mags as such than 308s. On the other hand. The most amazing little 308 I've loaded for was the rifle of a co-workers daughter. Fricking amazing. Considering it was a Ruger American.

The bullet selection argument doesn't wash anymore. Today's shooters don't have to rely on diameter anymore to cover the gamut of hunting applications. I.e. 338 Federal and the 6.5 Creedmoor. Heavier,wider bullets on one side. Slick,slippery bullets of all manufacture on the other. Neither nor any of the 3 a bit better than the other at the usual game taking ranges. Each bringing more to the table though for more specific tasks. Be it north country forests,or wide open spaces. The 308 squarely in between.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."