Short answer:
Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell/truck cap, preferably a commercial one with side access.

Long Answer:
I own a 4-door Nissan Frontier with a commercial truck cap. It is about the handiest vehicle on planet Earth. Only way it could be handier is if it was bigger and/or had 4WD. Seats 5 in a pinch, but still can haul a bunch of stuff without it getting wet. Can sleep in the back. Cap locks up and has handy side access (commercial for the win).

I went with D load rated AT tires and would go E-rated AT next time. They ride as good as the OEM passenger highway tires, handle better, and are much tougher when rocks are an issue.

Only downside is fuel economy, but Subarus are gas hogs for their size, so you're not losing much.

Once you mentioned 2000lbs of towing, I was leaning against a unibody auto and the CVT tranny is a non-starter for towing. Capacity may be 2700lbs, but anything over half of capacity can be hard on the tow vehicle, nerve-wracking while driving, and increase wear & tear.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers