OK, I read the whole thing..

To preface this, I'm gonna say that I generally have good luck with vehicles. I can't think of any (make that too many) that I regret buying.

And I've mostly been a Ford truck guy. F150 is my favorite truck, but that was up til about 2004 or so. I don't think there's a ford truck I'd own, made today.
And I mostly buy used. Just my preference. I've had a 96 F250 that I bought with 75000 on the clock. Sold it at 293000 miles. It's still around. I see it occasionally. My last 02 F150 was bought at 104000 miles and sold at 270000 miles. It's still around, too.

I drive a lot of miles. I bought a new 2019 outback in February. It'll have 36000 on the clock when I get home from work tomorrow. I never get in the thing but I'm impressed with what it does. And I haven't done a lot of off road with it, but it does have around 1500 miles on Forest Service FR roads. Likely 250 miles on sketchy 2 tracks and roadless areas.

Bit of an edit here;If it's ever been graded, and if the downed trees are kept removed, I call it a road.

For the guy who likes to drive a ways to see pretty country and then drive the back roads once there, I can't see a better option than the Outback. Unless, of course, you NEED a truck.
And I choke a little when I say it, but if I needed a truck today it'd likely be a Dodge.

Last edited by johnw; 09/26/19.

"Chances Will Be Taken"