I got home from Vietnam in 1970. I still had almost a year left on my enlistment, so the Army sent me to Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. I used to spent a lot of off duty time at the Post rifle range, and one evening two guys at the bench next to me were shooting a .375 H&H. I had never seen a rifle that large so I went over and talked to them. One of them had drawn a Wichita Mountains elk tag, and they were told that they needed that rifle to kill an elk. I thought that was huge cartridge for elk hunting and at that time I had only killed one elk (a 5x5 bull with a .30-40 Krag) so I just wished them luck. Now, 34 elk later, I still think a .375 H&H is way more rifle than is needed to kill an elk.

Now, I'm as much a rifle looney as most on these forums, and I respect anyone's choice to hunt with whatever rifle that they want to. Fifteen years ago I bought a .375 RUM for a Zimbabwe buffalo hunt, and I have used it on two trips to Africa on a variety of animals from Steenboks to Buffalo and Eland, but it is way down on my list of rifles that I would use for elk.

Just my thoughts...

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member