Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I once thought the .416 Taylor/350gr in a 20" barreled Mod 700 would be "perfect" for elk and African PG. Only problem was it needed the brake it had and it was so loud it was painful! I quickly sold that "bad idea", ha. However, I will say that, for me, once I killed some heavy game with heavy rifles, I was hooked! By that, I mean the Medium Bores ( but do include the 300 mags) for elk. I know I can and would if I had a need to, use a smaller caliber rifle on them, but I like to "thump them". It might be only "in my mind" they are "thumping", but that's all part of it...to me! smile I have used several calibers through the years and smallest I used on a heavy animal was an 85xbt from a 6x47mm, but I had to, I was recovering from a neck surgery and I had the opportunity. Everything was right ( about 90% shot) so I "finessed" an Oryx at 184yds. He was cow elk size. I had it loaded just like a loaded down .243. I would have "preferred" a bigger rifle, but hey. The only problem I ever had using a "big gun" was taking grief from other hunters! ha smile

Well stated. Jim! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024