Originally Posted by BayouRover
It wasn't just the cowboys....... A interesting discussion concerning some data from Vietnam.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/did-i-hear-this-correctly-on-mail-call.40370/

200,000 per kill in Vietnam. Sounds about right. I’m pretty sure if you were to do the homework on WW2, it’s be somewhere in between.
Now, considering the survival rate of wounded continues to grow as more medical treatments become available, and the extra number of automatic rifles per platoon as weapons progress, the kill ratio is bound to change as well. The tactics have changed as increased firepower becomes available as well.
I would still think it’d ultimately be cheaper for the military to spend more on marksmanship training for soldiers, but they’re studying individual weapons that are easier to score hits with as well.
I went through basic training in 1985. Being a country boy, I was really surprised at the number of trainees who had never fired a weapon in their lives. Some of them had a rough time getting on to it, and as I said the AR platform is pretty easy to shoot well.
I didn’t mean to hi-Jack the thread, but I thought the information was pertinent to the original post.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden