A long time ago, around the mid 1970's IIRC, My hunting partner and I helped with a round up and branding One of the other cowboys did the job of nutting the calves. When we were al done my buddy and I went and did a bit of pheasant hunting. What is interesting is what happened after the hunt.
We were over by the corral and got to talking with a 90 something year old cowboy. He noticed my Ruger .44 mag. and asked if I had an empty chamber under the hammer. Well, the gun was a new model so I said no i didn't. I got one of the most beautiful ass chewing I've ever had the pleasure (?) of getting and when he finally ran out of gas I explained that it was a "new" model and was safe with 6 in the cylinder he just shook his head and said the did not believe that to be true. I found a fair sized rock and pointed the gun at the ground and gave the hammer a solid whack. Of course nothing happened but for some reason after that I now load even a new model Blackhawk with the hammer on an empty chamber. I also own old model Rugers and a few Colt single actions so just figure it's probably a good habit to maintain. I wish I could have talked with that old cowboy. What tales he could have told. He passed about 6 months after I met him. One old timer I met when I lived in Winnemucca was just a kid at the time playing hooky with his pals. They actually witnessed Butch Cassidy and his gang rob the bank. That old boy is long gone too. I worked part time with his nephew who was the local gunsmith.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE