Originally Posted by luv2safari
The Irish kill each other over how to practice Christianity.

Oh, back in the 17th Century maybe.

The Ulster Prods were settlers, brung over as English-loyal colonists to displace and subdue the Native (Catholic) Irish. Tribal warfare ensued, the English with their Ulster Prod manpower won.

Later on the very decency of English law the Brits spread around their Empire ultimately defeated and disintegrated that empire. The Colonies voted themselves out, beginning with the Irish.

The Irish Republic included all but Protestant Majority Ulster, vehemently against joining the Republic where they would be a despised minority living under a virtual Catholic Theocracy.

Contrary to popular belief, England would LOVE to get out of Ireland, but the Ulster Prods refused to vote themselves out. Meanwhile the violent fringes on both sides, IRA and UDF, were also criminal organizations in the urban ghettos of both sides. I wouldn’t call either remotely “religious”, Catholic or Protestant. Basically violent criminal scum on both sides.

In my lifetime the Catholics in Ulster have our-bred the Prods and the Prods will soon be a minority even in Ulster. So the Ulster Protestants are in a real bind. I feel for ‘em, these are the people who gave us much of our American character.

Ironically, in recent years the Ulster Prods and the Catholic Church are on the same Pro-Life side of the abortion debate, and neither the Prods nor the rest of Ireland want out of the EU.

Prob’ly you knew all this.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744