Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would also suggest a long-time rifle loony should have (or have owned) the following scopes:

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage. Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

They should also have dealt with the off-center mounting holes, whether gunsmithed or factory.

Which is why I love many newer scopes, especially Nightforce, but have enough experience to know the scope is still the weak link in rifle accuracy.....

How about the following I own, and use regularly:

1. two Unertls, soon to be three
2. two Feckers
3. one Litschert
4. one Lyman Targetspot

Fog up in nasty weather? Probably. Less brightness than a 70's vintage Bushnell Banner? Yep. Do I care? Nope, they aren't what any sane nimrod would drag into the deer woods on a December morning either- sunny days at the bench only, which suits me to a T. Look cool (and work just fine) on a 30's-vintage target/varmint rifle? Yep, wouldn't have it any other way.

Another selling point regarding these old target scopes- you can swap them around onto different rifles with abandon. I use them on a bunch of different rifles. All you have to do is make a note of the micrometer settings on the windage/elevation turrets and adjust to that when returning it to a rifle and the first shot will be mighty close to where you previously were hitting on the target. They are all adjustable for parallax too, and have focusing via the ocular bell.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty