Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dan,

Now you have me lusting for something like that--and unfortunately, I know somebody who has a few and is starting to sell off some of his collection....

Here's one of mine acquired a few months ago, a "second Allin conversion" .50-70 trapdoor, a Model 1866 where the breechblock is stamped 1866, so was "first-year production." It has been beat up some outside (not unexpected for a 150+ year-old military rifle), but the bore is pretty shiny. It shoots more than OK for an open-sighted rifle driven by a semi-geezer. Have it on the buffalo background because some historians believe .50-70 trapdoors might have accounted for more 19th-century bison than any of the famous commercial rifles. In fact, I might just do another buffalo ranch-hunt with it.

[Linked Image]

This really needs a "Like" button. My uncle has a Springfield on the wall that has family history. Would love to mold up some lead and get that back into the game.
Funny story. He took it down to the Armory to see uf he could get some info on it since its been in the family for a good number of generations. The Woman at the door in the National Park Service uniform just about had a hart attack and told him it had to go back to the car ASAP!!!
My my how the times have changed in the good ol home of the Minute Man.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......