Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

But the gun fit me and pointed like my finger.

Yoder409 I don't know your experiance and this isn't aimed at you. I suspect that a lot of guys that make statements about factory guns fitting them has a whole lot more to do with how the gun feels to them in their hands. Rather than actually truly fitting them.

I have a good friend that wanted a high end sporting clays gun. He asked me to help him decide. I told him that is impossible because no two people are the same. So I helped him through the process. First order was looking at the different companies and models. I noticed something right away. Perazzi, Zoli, and Guerini's all didn't "feel like they fit him"! So I said lets try out some from Kolar and Krieghoff. Right away he said see these fit me. Nope they didn't fit him any better all were standard off the shelf guns. What he perceived as fit was actually feel. The weight and balance is what suited him. Yet he swore up and down that he could buy the one on the showroom floor and it was perfect. So I said to him slow down and let's get you fitted first and see what your measurements actually are. Sure enough when he saw what was suggested by the fitter he was surprised at how much different they actually are. He ended up buying a K-80 with a custom stock.

MCH...…..

I wouldn't know what to call my experience level. I'm definitely not in the MCH/Battue bracket. Maybe, with time to actually shoot, I could hang with yinz. About all I get to do anymore is shoot a few rounds of trap every other year. If I went out right now, tonight, I feel fairly confident I'd be somewhere in the low to mid 90's.

I have always been blessed with the ability to pick up a shotgun and know whether I need bother trying to hit with it or not. I have a couple guns that feel GREAT in my hands that I struggle with. The guns I can compete with both FEEL good and POINT well. In the instance of my trap gun (it's actually labeled as a "sporting" gun), I went to a big shop. I told the guy I wanted every trap and sporting gun he had within my budget laid out on the counter. There were roughly a dozen. I mounted each one and it only took 15 minutes to make my pick. I have never regretted or thought I may have done better.

What's crazy is that the guns I have been most effective with have been somewhere between very and sorta plain-Jane guns...……..and very little, by looking at them, in common. An English stocked Stoeger Uplander Special 20 gauge SxS with 24" barrels...……………. A Winchester 1400 XTR 12 gauge with a 22" barrel...…………….. A Winchester Select Energy Sporting 12 gauge O/U with 30" barrels. Apparently, for whatever reason, each one fit(s) my style of shooting...……...whatever that style is. That CZ Mallard sat in my hands and came to my shoulder/eye just EXACTLY like the other 3 do or did. I'm pretty fairly certain I coulda been half ways dangerous with it.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.