Originally Posted by McInnis
I bought a new Toyota Highlander last year. Part of the deal is that it came with free scheduled maintenance for the first two years. So I just took it in for the first 5,000 mile/6 month checkup and learned that an oil change was not included. The manager said that Toyota has changed their policy to that oil changes now occur at 10,000 mile intervals. I know they use synthetic oil, but that seems like an awfully long interval especially for a new car. I'm considering changing it on my own, but maybe 10,000 is OK? I know things change. When I first started driving spark plugs weren't expected to last for more than about 30,000 miles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

16,000 km is ridiculous !

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
32.774 pages, minumum.

Ahem.

Anyway, Toyota told me the same thing in 2016 with my Camry. I've no doubt the full synthetic oils are better. I've also no doubt that Toyota & the dealers would like to save $. My gut told me they're betting that they can get the cars to the end of the factory warranty with 10K oil changes, and that's the end of what they have to stand behind.

You'll no doubt get lots of advice of what intervals to use. You're smart enough to know that highway miles are way easier on a car than city driving, and that short trips are hard on oil, especially in cold weather. Perhaps your Highlander has a GDI engine, and you're leery that might dilute the oil, so you go more conservatively on the OCI's. You could eyeball it. You could send samples of every batch to Blackstone for analysis. In the end, you'll pick a point on the spectrum where you feel most comfortable. And you'll be exactly right - for you.

After discussing it with my mechanic of 27 years, I settled on 7,500 mile intervals, paying for it myself at the mechanic when Toyota's "free maintenance" coupons wouldn't. I'll never know if I've been throwing $ away, but I figure the extra cost aint breaking me, and the peace of mind feels like a bargain.

Good Luck,

FC

FC, for a bald guy, you're smarter than you look ! grin

Originally Posted by Musicianized
No way Id go over 5k..

Yep, me too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"