'After discussing it with my mechanic of 27 years, I settled on 7,500 mile intervals"

After being my own mechanic for 60 years I want my vehicles to last a long time and be as trouble free as possible. So far so good. I drove my '78 Chevy pickup 21 years and plan on driving my 2005 Dodge diesel until I can't drive. I've always done all my oil/filter changes and all the maintenance I can do with the tools I have. I can't rebuild an automatic trans. I've been using Amsoil synthetic since the rings seated at around 30k. I also installed an Amsoil bypass filter and put a FILTERMAG on the oil filter. I wish I known about FILTERMAGS when my truck was new because it traps the ferrous metal in the oil from the piston ring/cylinder break-in. From now on I'll install a FILTERMAG any new engine I get. The bypass filter traps almost 98% of the particle as small as 2 microns (there are 23 microns in .001" so that's REAL small). You're supposed to the change the bypass filter by 70k or 800 hours. I've been changing motor oil, both oil filters, fuel filter and air filter @ 10,000 miles since 30k just because it's easy to remember.

Last edited by victoro; 01/18/20.