Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by McInnis
I bought a new Toyota Highlander last year. Part of the deal is that it came with free scheduled maintenance for the first two years. So I just took it in for the first 5,000 mile/6 month checkup and learned that an oil change was not included. The manager said that Toyota has changed their policy to that oil changes now occur at 10,000 mile intervals. I know they use synthetic oil, but that seems like an awfully long interval especially for a new car. I'm considering changing it on my own, but maybe 10,000 is OK? I know things change. When I first started driving spark plugs weren't expected to last for more than about 30,000 miles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Originally Posted by McInnis
I bought a new Toyota Highlander last year. Part of the deal is that it came with free scheduled maintenance for the first two years. So I just took it in for the first 5,000 mile/6 month checkup and learned that an oil change was not included. The manager said that Toyota has changed their policy to that oil changes now occur at 10,000 mile intervals. I know they use synthetic oil, but that seems like an awfully long interval especially for a new car. I'm considering changing it on my own, but maybe 10,000 is OK? I know things change. When I first started driving spark plugs weren't expected to last for more than about 30,000 miles. Anyone have thoughts on this?
..........Yep, I had the same dealer oil change program with my bought new 2015 Ram....However for the first two years of freebie dealer oil changes, my oil change intervals were every 6K miles because the Ram dealer used Mopar regular non synthetic oil. For the last nearly 3 years since my free oil changes ceased, I have been using Amsoil Signature Series changing oil every 15K miles.....Changing oil every 10K miles is no problem IF using a FULL SYNTHETIC OIL of high quality.....Factory spark plugs of today are designed for extremely long life 75K and beyond...Cars and trucks are not the same now as many years ago. They run much cleaner using todays cleaner gas...If u check your owners manual I'll wager that your first plug change is due at around the 100K mark like my Ram Hemi.....As a tip I pour a combustion chamber/fuel system cleaner made by Amsoil into the tank every 5K miles....NOPE...No need to change plugs every 15K to 30k like the old days.....

Some of the newer Dodges are still running copper plugs and recommended change is 30,000
.....................Thanks! I did not know that.....IIRC and without going out to my truck to get my owners manual, a plug swap for a 5.7 Hemi is done every 100K miles.....16 of 'em.....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger