In the early part of this century, my late wife and I went on a hunt near Dubois, Wy.. We had been retired a few years, had a small travel trailer, and our two goldens.. We planned to stay a month.. She had a cow moose permit, and I had a general elk tag.. We should have bought her a deer tag... First thing in the morning we drove to the top of the mountain to glass for moose.. We barely got settled when we spotted a small herd of elk crossing the park.. A fair bull was in the herd, so I decided to try him... At the shot he flinched and walked a few yards out of our sight.. When we got over there, he was dead at the edge of the park.. We dressed him propped him open and went to camp for a little trailer to get him out.. We had him loaded and in the processor by 9:30 or so... We decided for the evening hunt, we would drive 30 miles back into the hills where I had killed a bull in 1996... First thing we saw was a huge mule deer buck and no tag... Just at dusk, we were glassing the river bottom and spotted a big cow moose and small bull.. We got into position and she shot her behind shoulder about 1/3 of the way up.. The moose took one step and dropped.. We got the little truck and drove across the river and dressed the moose.. We had to tow her back across with a chain to get her to the little utility trailer to take home.. She was afraid of grizzlies, and when she got hooked up, I walked along behind to make sure all was well... She soon ran away from me across the river to the trailer.. The idea of the big bears kind of spooked her.. Any we got her loaded and headed in.. Both tags filled the first day of our hunt and we planned to stay 30 days... We often laughed about that.. Only for a couple more years as she passed in 2006,

Molon Labe