Too many of them, if they weren't enjoyable I might have to quit.

Perhaps a favorite was one in NW PA. Evening hunt after work. Required to wear blaze orange on the way out to my hunting area as I was trying for a squirrel perhaps too. Didn't need blaze to archery hunt deer, but did for small game. Got out to where I wanted to set up, alongside a reservoir with the water drawn down and waist high brush growing along the edge. Deer routinely came down the hill for water in the evening. Knelt down to take off orange, had bow resting across brush in front of me. Took off hat and vest and was putting them up, look up, doe coming down same trail I had just used. Stops 30-40 yards away, directly in front of me and grubs around base of hickory tree. Trail continues on down toward water at an angle that would have brought her within 10 yards or so on my left, which is perfect for a right hand draw on a stick bow. I wouldn't attempt a shot at over 15 or so as I had just started using a bow that year. So I was excited as it looked like a perfect set up.

Reach up, grab bow on bushes, look up.................dang doe is headed straight at me. Looking my way. Somehow I managed to get an arrow out of the hip quiver and on the bow, still horizontal on the bushes when she turned her head slightly. I was willing her to turn toward my left as she got closer and closer. No such luck. She angled slightly to my right, which a right handed archer has a hard time turning to while kneeling 8 yards from a big ol set of eyes and ears. Eventually she passed right next to me at 9 feet, stopped, looked directly at me, then all hairs stood up, eyes widened, and she took off.

Best I can figure is she saw my big ol' white forehead as I had no time or opportunity to get my camo facemask and hat on after taking off the orange stuff.

Kinda hard to beat having a wild critter walk up to within 3 yards, unaware until the last instant.

there's a few other hunts that rank nearly as high, if not the same. But for sure that one is not forgotten.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?