Here where I live, there is a large Mennonite run produce auction, probably the largest in this part of the country. Many of the local Mennonite and Amish farmers grow produce, because they can do this on a much smaller acreage than if they were farming livestock or grain. It is amazing just how much produce goes through there each year. Just about every kind of vegetable and fruit you can think of is sold there. Buyers come from as far away as Chicago to buy produce, with the biggest percentage going to Nashville, and that area of Tennessee.

I have wondered what effect this is going to have on the produce auction here, especially if it lasts on into summer. I even grow some stuff myself and let the grandkids take it there to sell. IF......and who knows what's really going to happen down the road, things don't improve, a lack of a market is going to really hurt most of these produce farmers. Of course, farmers are not going to be by themselves in this, but if a large enough number of them go under, a short crop next year would likely mean higher food prices.