Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Lost productivity, lost wealth, lost work ethic, lost lives. All because some politicians and businessmen figured out a way to make schidt “cheaper” in China.

Gambling on “cheap” labor and “cheap” products never pays off in the end.

Ask the Egyptians, look at our Civil War, look at our current social issues due to “cheap” labor (both past slave labor and current illegal Hispanic labor), Middle East “cheap” labor in Europe, and “cheap” products the world buys from China. How “cheap” does any of it seem, now???

I agree.

Interesting take on things, seeing as how "cheap" or better said, inexpensive labor is kind of a key to our capitalist society. Production of goods at the lowest cost while selling them at the highest margin is something I learned about in grade school.

Is it better to sell x items at a $0.01 profit vs 3x items at a $0.004 profit?

Wal Mart, Dollar General, Bass Pro, ain't in business to provide high quality top dollar good. We can go to LL Bean, and Filson for that...........and they've shifted to lower cost labor overseas in order to keep their margins up too.

The "Unions" screwed the pooch, probably by getting too big, just as many big organizations eventually do. Much of Modern America (post 1900) was built on having a reasonably priced pool of skilled labor (think the "trades") that operated with a journeyman/apprentice model. It provided quality goods, albeit at a somewhat higher cost than the alternative (think Mod 70, old S&W and Colt revolvers).

Can we get back to that model, with labor and management working together toward the same goal? My guess, when this is all over factories might be coerced into moving production back to the US.....................but it's going to cost the consumer, not those folks expecting a dividend on their stocks.

"Gambling on “cheap” labor and “cheap” products never pays off in the end." Unfortunately, it does pay off for some corporations, there's a whole world of them out there.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?