Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I know this is one of those endless debates, but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house?

Appreciate all input.
Cocked and locked. That's the only way a professional rolls.

When my kids got mobile, I quit using the Smith and Wesson 686 4" that resided loaded on my nightstand, normally with a speedloader or two, and which is THE best nightstand gun ever. I went to an auto with nothing in the chamber, but a loaded mag. When they got big enough to rack the slide, I went to keeping it completely unloaded and inaccessible to them, taking the chance that it was much less accessible to me. I relied on training them rather than keeping it completely inaccessible in the Safe. I also relied on severely limiting having their friends over and when they did, the gun was kept inaccessible. Now one is nineteen and the other is fifteen and both are trained and trustworthy and have their own firearms. I won't recommend my way to anybody else. It is all dependent on you and your kids. I'm just relating what I did.