I went through this when I was raising my kids. My wife got worried one day about them getting into the gun. It was one of my 1911's which I kept in condition 2. That was done to help keep dust and lint out of the hammer/firing pin assembly. What I did was to unload the gun and then have then try to dry fire it. BTW, they were taught how to handle a gun safely from a much earlier age.
At ages 6 and 8, neither could dry fry the gun on condition 2. At Condition 3, not even my wife could chamber a round.
Another point is where I kept the gun. It was not kept on a nightstand were a prowler can see or find it. At night, it is in a soft case with the end open so I can get at it w/o having to get my feet on the ground.
If you keep a gun handy at night it must be easily accessible and easy for the shooter to use. Waking up from a sound sleep and getting into action, one is often not at one's best....Duh ! BTDT.
Nowadays, I sleep with a 220 Sig complete with night sights. I don't turn on lights or go looking for potential prowlers. I don't fool with chambering rounds in the dark either. Don't give away the fact that I'm on to him/them. Giving away any tactical advantage I have is not my way. E