Appreciate all the input guys. Please keep it coming.

I am perfectly comfortable carrying cocked and locked.

It's when it's time to take the gun off that I am less than comfortable LEAVING it in Condition 1, mainly due to third parties.

But then the ramifications of that set in: if you train Condition 1, the last thing you want to do is get woken up in a "right now" situation and need to remember to rack the slide or cock the hammer. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of training.

I do have a lockbox as Waders suggests. It might be time to install it somewhere handy.

Also, I sleep on the left side of the bed, normally on my back. Puts me closest to the door and best positioned to protect, but makes me have to reach for pistol with left hand. Add in stress and fog from a stressful wake-up, and I am thinking I need to find a way to get that pistol in my right hand easier and better the odds.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine