Originally Posted by RickBin
...but I'd like to hear what some of the guys here prefer, and why?

Condition 1 for EDC. For me that's a G19. Why? Because a striker-fired gun w/o a safety eliminates another variable--another opportunity for me to do something wrong. (Not that I'd be anything less than AWESOME in a gunfight, but...you know...just in case... smile ) Although, not trying to sound prideful, I did carry (and practice with) a 1911 for several years, and drawing and hitting the safety comes pretty natural to me, but again, why give yourself one more chance to blunder...

Originally Posted by RickBin
Also, how about your nightstand gun? Will that change if there are kids in the house

My kids are not really "kids" anymore. Look at my profile pic--that was a fairly current pic when I posted it, and the younger of those two will be 20 in July! (I've been here way too long!) But...for kids in the house, just get a lock box with push-button combination. Set the combination to something you can easily and quickly do in the dark. Many of those boxes require the last button to be the # sign. So 369# is great combo. Or 789#. Those are easy to find buttons in the dark.

Inside my nightstand box is a 1911 w/ night sights and laser grips (about the only time I would say laser grips are an excellent choice for self-defense). Also in my lock box is the key to a gun safe next to the bed that holds longer guns. (Not locked up, but also on the nightstand is my cell phone, eyeglasses, and a flashlight).

With kids in the house or not, that's my setup.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.