Thanks John,
That's exactly why I put a bit over an inch of the barrel shank in the glass on the 9.3, which I bedded myself, it having never been done before, just bare wood (actually had a little bit of sheet metal bent under the recoil lug before I started working it). I also bedded the tang, and added just enough glass under the bottom metal to make sure I don't get metal-to-metal contact between the bottom metal and receiver when the action screws are tightened down. But whoever sporterized the 338-06 (back before it was a 338-06, of course) did glass bed the action, and I have not gotten in there to clean things up yet. My plan is to make sure I have a little relief in the areas where I like a little relief (front, sides, and bottom of recoil lug, and about 3 thicknesses of masking tape on the aft edge of the tang, so there is no impact to the thin inletting at the top of the wrist under recoil). And I'll bed the first inch or so of the barrel, and after that is all cured, come back and bed the tang nice and neutral so there is no stress on the action. That, combined with that short, stiff 19" barrel, I still have high hopes for. I'll be very surprised if I don't get it down to a 1.5 MOA or better, easy toting carbine by the time it's all done. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cheers,
Rex