Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by czech1022
What would be a good rebore of a .308 Win in a Ruger RSI bolt action?

My first response is 358W as well, but barrels on the Ruger RSI bolt actions are very thin. I doubt there is enough meat there to bore it out to .358. If you send it to him you may want to plan to have a backup caliber in mind like a .338 Federal. Or talk it through with him first before sending the rifle to him.

I've had the same idea for some time but truth be told, I have to agree with Blu_Cs. The barrel is too thin for a rebore, even to .338".

I do have a plan though, where I take a Ruger M77 .358 Win. and take the barrel off and put it on the RSI properly trimmed to the 18.5" length. Open up the muzzle cap, replace the sights et. and I'll have a faux M77RSI. think the biggest problem would be inletting the stock for the "fatter" barrel. I have three RSIs in .308 Win., two being the nice and slim rifles they're supposed to be. One, number three is slightly fatter especially in the forearm and could possibly take the .358 barrel. I keep thinling about it but haven't gotten around to getting it done.

Short story on Ruger, the RSI in .358 Win. Back in1981 I was at the NRA convention and was looking at the RSI. I commented to a fellow who said he was the Ruger rep that I would love to have this rifle chambered to the .358 Win. He blew up like a bomb, said it would never happen, and was cussing up a blue streak when I just said FU and walked away. My wife was with me and said he represents the company???

I do have it on good notice that Bill Ruger did have a very short run of M77 RSI rifles made in .358 Win. strictly for friends Nd have seen photos of at least two. There also may be a few lunchbox specials out there as well.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE