Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I didn't cure it. After trying every modification I could, including different loads, bedding, scopes, etc., I finally decided the barrel had not been stress-relieved correctly--or perhaps not at all, because the manufacturer assumed heavy button-rifled barrels do not require heat-treating.

It would put at least 3 and often 5 shots in 1/2", but when shooting any more before allowing it to cool, they started heading left and high. So I sold the thing.

Back in the 90's, they used to also use cryogenics to stress relieve barrels. As we know, the machining process can induce stresses into the barrel and if it is not properly stress relieved, with either heat or extreme cold, poor accuracy can and often occurs...

Skinny barrels can be made to shoot well, as long as the rifle is properly bedded and the appropriate load and optic used. Of course, the human element has to be spot on too...

Pretty lightweight steven's 200 22-250:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tikka superlite 6.5 creedmoor:

These 2 rifles are ones I don't even waste my time with 3 shot groups. There have been countless times where I've shot 4 into the same hole with these 2. Don't even get me started on either of my CTR's...:
This sob shoots to exactly where I'm looking... The dropped shot was all on me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA