Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Maybe, but the scopes on his three Savage rifles?

As I noted earlier, it would be better to shoot more meaningful 5-shot groups--if the fliers really bother him.

The scopes on the three Savages are a;
250 Savage M-16 Weather Warrior w/Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40 AO,
223 Rem in a Savage Axis w/Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40 AO (Timney trigger)
308 W. In Savage Axis w/Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 (Timney trigger)
None of these three rifles give me much problems. Once in a while the 223 will change POI a bit but not bad.

The rifle that has given me the most grief by far is a custom chrome-moly (I believe “hook cut”) barreled M-70 with a 24” barrel installed by the well known barrel maker. The action is bedded, barrel is floated and I have tried 4 different quality scopes on it. Zeiss conquest, Leupold Vari -X III AO, Nikon Monarch w/AO and now a Meopta MeoPro with AO. Also have tried a whole host of medium to slow powders and various bullets. I’ve shot it morning, noon and late evening, wind still to light wind days. Same problems as mentioned before. However the flyer gets tighter with the other two with some loads. I’ve cleaned the barrel with WipeOut, Hoppe’s #9, Shooter’s Choice, Holland’s Witches Brew, Carb Out, etc. All pretty with much the same results.
I also have a 22-250 in a Winchester Featherweight with a stainless custom 3 groove 24” Feather weight barrel by another well known barrel maker. This barrel installed by a gunsmith who is also a benchrest shooter. Same thing, action bedded, barrel floated, tried multiple scopes with AO. Multiple different bullets too but I have pretty much stayed with H-380 powder with this rifle. I will be trying some of the new IMR Enduron powder soon with it though. It will quite often give me the two shots touching and one flyer way out in space.
On this rifle though, it is quite possible that barrel fouling might be the issue. I am pretty sure the barrel fouls after about 20 rounds or so and that is causing the problem, but not 100% certain.

FYI for one of the previous posters: I most always shoot multiple rifles when I target shoot to gauge my shooting ability for the day. I’m not naive enough to believe that I always shoot perfect. And yes I generally make note of which shot gives me the goofy flyer. Oh, and I shoot 100, 200 and 290 yards.
I also most always neck shoot 99% of the deer I kill and have for over 30 years, with two being just under a laser shot 200 yards.
(Well, one was laser shot, the other paced off as it was before laser range finders were on the market)

MD, I am curious as to why you feel a consecutive 5 shot group is better than 3 or 4 three shot groups shot in succession?

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 05/01/20.