I've been shooting and hunting for a few years now (I didn't grow up doing either). I own two centerfire rifles - a .223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. Both are typical sporter weight rifles with 6x scopes. I've hunted coyotes and taken a few deer, and I've been happy with both rifles. I've been saving up for a new gun, and now I have enough saved up and I'm not sure what to get. I have thought about getting a second big game rifle. This year I'm hoping to draw an antlerless elk tag here in South Dakota, and I feel confident using my 6.5 creed for that, but I wonder what would happen if I had an issue with my rifle during elk season. Seems like a second rifle in a big game caliber would be useful. Plus, my wife is interested in starting to hunt with me and we could use another rifle for that.

What do you guys think? Have you ever needed a backup rifle on a hunt?

Also, I can think of two different approaches to getting another rifle. I could get another 6.5 creedmoor - that way I can use the same ammo between both rifles. Also, 6.5 creedmoor ammo is cheap and fun to shoot. I wouldn't want to get the exact same rifle, so maybe I could go in a different direction with it, but I'm still in the early stages of brainstorming.

The other approach would be to get something in a more powerful caliber - something that's a clear step up from the creedmoor like 7mm rem mag. This could be nice if I someday desire to extend my hunting range beyond my current 300 yards. Still, I don't know how often I'd actually shoot the thing. Ammo costs more, recoil is worse, and I don't have access to a 1000 yard shooting range.

Any suggestions? Any other info that would be helpful for me to provide?