When your wife told you that .270 Hawkeye was "pretty", you missed her big "hint"! ha A .270 will reach out, hit hard, has ammo all over God's Country, and the Hawkeye is a a tough one. Its not hard to get a Ruger Hawkeye to shoot 1" groups. You already posses the skill needed to shoot that well. And let me tell you, 1 inch groups "used to be the standard" for varmint rifles! ha A .270 is so close to a 30-06 on game, and so close to a 7mm Mag in trajectory, you will not regret it! "When" you start handloading ( you will LOVE IT) you can load up the 140 monos or 160PT for that .270 and slay buffalo! Just saying. I will add this, a 7mm Rem Mag is a very good long range deer rifle. But a .270 can keep up with it. A 30-06 with a 180/200gr can hurt an elk as easy as a 7mm Mag, and both calibers can be had in lighter, easier shooting rifles than a 7mm Mag. No flies on a 7MM Mag, just saying. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decided? Never, ever, defend "your choice", its your rifle, your money, and your Life! smile

PS Yes, you need a spare rifle. Yes I have needed one many times. Lots of reasons, some stupid, some funny, but all "needed" to save a hunt.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/11/20.