Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Add a .30-06 and you're all set. Don't fall for the stupid advice of a .280, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem mag. as none are more capable on bigger game than the .30-06 and they all cost way more to shoot if you don't reload, which it sounds like you don't. You can buy .30-06 ammo in several brands and bullet weghts at Wal-Mart for 19.00 a box while you'll pay 28.00 a box for 7mm-08, 28.00 - 40.00 per box for 7mm mag. and they don't carry the semi obsolete .280 ammo at all.

We have this thing called the internet that makes it easy to buy ammo... and yes, he could get $19 06 ammo, but then there will be a whole other thread about "falling for the dumb advice" of using old cup/core bullets, etc. And please don't hit us with the "if he forgets his ammo 30-06 will be at the gas station routine."

He can get 150 grain partitions in 280 for $32-35 online, often with free shipping if timed right, and it's just as easy to order higher end, 170-175 stuff if he doesn't want to load it himself. Any Cabelas or BPS or Gander is also going to carry rhe 165 RN Corelokt. I have nothing against 06 or cheap ammo at all. My issue ia that people are advised every day on this forum to spend tons of money on new stuff, but then when it's convenient, the Wal-Mart card gets played. C'mon...

Yeah but how much trigger time is he going to get at $32.per box? With an -06 or 308 he can buy a bunch of milsurp ammo and blast away. Nobody is suggesting he use cheap stuff to hunt with.

Probably the same trigger time he gets with the 6.5cm? When you catch them online and buy in a bit of bulk, the 140/150 corelokt aren't priced too bad and they're no slouch on deer, either. But if I was heading west for a planned hunt, I'd also want a good bit of time with my actual game round. Anyway, we agree, re: no need for a magnum. I just don't see the 280 has semi-obsolete because of where I can't buy ammo. If Walmart is the metric, dozens of cartridges are on their way to the graveyard.