Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by MikeL2
The recommendations for smaller caliber, higher velocity could bring my 250 SAV more into the game. I have Hornady and Rem 100gr ammo on hand, and a stash of winchester 87gr softpoints. With the Rem 700's 24 in barrel the 87gr loads should step out pretty good.

87 would be as heavy as I would go regardless of caliber/cartridge.

A light fast bullet is very effective on small critters like deer.

Some of our deer aren't all that small. I've taken some that were over 200 lbs field dressed. 87gr is lighter than I'd normally consider.

The 200lb plus deer are rare, but if your gear is set up for small deer your screwed when a bruiser shows up.

Never seen a big enough whitetail ribcage to stop a small bullet..

And I actually shot buck once that was supposed to be a bit over 200 pounds, neck was 27 inches at the ears.. with a 22LR to finish the deer when I managed to break his neck but he was not dead with a 300 wtby. That 22 pistol round went through a rib, into the heart and into the offside somewhere IIRC.

Bullet choice, shot placement. Simple as that. And being picky about the shot that presents.

OTOH if I'm going to be mad if I have to pass a southbound north end shot up, I run with some pretty large for animal rounds.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....