Well, this topic has some legs.

Good news is that my lot is not flat. Slopes down behind the house to a wide stream bed, then up a small ridge on the other side, maybe 40 ft elevation gain from stream to top of ridge. I own most of the way up the side of the ridge, but the guy that has the lot along top of ridge hunts and has tree stands up close to the property line.

Downstream there is vacant private land for a little ways, a good 800 ft until any buildings. Upstream the next lot has a residence that I'd need to remember and would not be a good direction to shoot. Safest directions would be to set up to shoot towards base of ridge, or to cross over stream and set up on side of the ridge and shoot down towards the stream - if the back neighbor isn't in his tree stand shooting towards my lot! Will probably have to talk with him about that so he's aware of where I could be.

Good info from you folks that have hunted with shotgun slugs, didn't realize they could ricochet that much - now don't see any advantage to them.

The rifle I use most for deer is my .308 Kimber Montana, with 165gr Federal Fusion loads. Good setup for any size deer. Went to 165s to make sure I had exits and good blood trails, never had to track a deer more than about 30 yds so far with it. BUT, since its my main rifle, would not want to resight it for lighter bullets that I'd only want to use occasionally behind the house.

Feel kind of same about the 30-30, normally use 170s, so again don't think I want to sight it in for lighter ammo.

This is pushing me farther towards the 30-30 as is, or the .250 SAV.