Originally Posted by nighthawk
Well, I'll give you one. Army brat living in family housing, 4-pleses. Black family moved in at the far end of the building. One boy a year older, one maybe two younger. Girls we all ignored then. I knew blacks were different than whites, their apartment smelled funny. Good but funny. My first encounter with real southern cooking. And they kept a cat! Otherwise all good.

Then there was the young couple that moved in down the street. And we made a welome visit. Really nice people, I took to them immediately. On the way home I overheard that they were having troubles because they were black and were light enough to pass. Which was very upsetting to me - they were nice people, who cares about the rest.

And another because it's funny. Was on an audit in Salt Lake City and another auditor arrived before I did, a black guy. In Salt Lake at the time you could buy a drink only at a private club and he invited me to his. Yup, turned out to be a black club. One of those deals where you walk in, the music stops and everyone stares. Took it as the gag it was and had a really great time. Had a really nice group at his table.

South Dakota is 85% white, less than 2% black.

Why do you choose to live in a white separatist state?