Originally Posted by bwinters
Wife and did a good hike yesterday and I stepped on a snake about 6-7 miles from the truck. Turned out it was a garter snake but 2 years ago I stepped on a copperhead. Snakes dont bother me at all but I did get to wondering what I would do if bitten a long way from the truck. Yesterday I was a long way and about 3000 vertical feet below the truck. Normally I'd think just head to the truck but climbing that much over that distance gives the venom a pretty good running head start in your system. We run into half dozen copperheads and 2-3 rattlers every year.

What the heck is the best course of action when you are a long ways away or have a strenuous climb? Stay put and call someone or head to the truck?

You stay put and call somebody, what's that somebody gonna do? Just what they tell YOU not to do. This is dumb. If you live a mile from town and it's a 10 minute drive or the ambulance can get there quick yeah don't do anything. Stay calm. But if you're hunting on a warm fall day and step on Mr. Buzz Tail and he gives you a full load of venom you better do something or you're gonna be worm dirt.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!