Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Sycamore

the only thing that helps is anti-venom. you may not get any venom. you may not get very much venom. you may get the venom in a place that takes a long time to get moving (good and bad). best thing you can do is notify medical help and get closer to help. take off jewelry, swelling is likely.

suction won't help. electricity won't help. tourniquet won't help (might hurt). ice/cold won't help. most bites by copperheads. most fatalities by eastern and western diamondbacks (volume of venom probably). Most rattlesnakes bites in California and Arizona.

Dr Sycamore, This is the internet, so I have no way to verify your bona fides in the medical field. When you say electricity doesn't help, you are flying in the face of medical research in the field of tropical medicine under which snake bite falls. I don't know how to post a link, so please before you share any more of your opinions, at least google > high voltage snakebite. A New York Times 1986/08/05 "Doctors Corner" will come up, with numerous references with studies on the subject by top researchers in the field of tropical medicine. It quotes studies from The Lancet, and the work of Michigan State Univ, Dr Jeffrey Williams, a respected leader in tropical medicine.
The OP asked what to do about snakebite in remote locations, a stun gun may be a more viable solution than locator devices, helicopters, taking off jewelry,or wrapping the bite with gauze.
I don't own stock in a stun gun company.

Professor Flintlocke,

I don't often read medical journals, but when I do, it's about snake envenomation....

Last article I read was "Thrombotic Microangiopathy Following Hypnale zara (Hump-Nosed Pit Viper) Envenoming: The First Known Case Report from Sri Lanka".

Electric Shock https://www.cprseattle.com/blog/treating-snake-bite-victims-what-not-to-do-and-why-not-to-do-it

The use of electrical shock to treat a snakebite victim is a practice that even today persists in various places, especially in some online “resources”. The theory appears to be that by applying a powerful shock to the victim, that it somehow affects the venom in such a way that it becomes no longer harmful. Various delivery methods mentioned include car batteries, modified electrical equipment, and even Tasers.

Where did this theory originate, and why does it seem to persist? To answer the first question, the practice of treating snakebite with electricity seems to have been in use at the turn of the century1, but had a resurgence in interest after a letter (not peer-reviewed article) was published in 1986 in the Lancet journal by a doctor who claimed to be successfully treating venomous snakebites with electric shock therapy. Picked up by Time magazine, the New York Times, and most notably Outdoor Life, the treatment became more widely noted. Apparently the doctor was basing his theory off of anecdotal information from an Illinois farmer, who made the local paper by claiming that his severe reaction to bee stings was alleviated by the application of a “high voltage, low amperage, direct current shock to the site of his bee stings prevented his usual severe reactions”, however, the doctor did not cite when and where the article was published. For more on this story, see “Does electric shock treatment work for snake bites? Actually, funny story...” and A Review of Electric Shock Treatment for Snakebites (Just Say NO...)

Here's an easy list from wikipedia, almost as old as your reference

Russell F (1987). "Another warning about electric shock for snakebite". Postgrad Med. 82 (5): 32. doi:10.1080/00325481.1987.11699990. PMID 3671201.

Ryan A (1987). "Don't use electric shock for snakebite". Postgrad Med. 82 (2): 42. doi:10.1080/00325481.1987.11699922. PMID 3497394.

Howe N, Meisenheimer J (1988). "Electric shock does not save snakebitten rats". Annals of Emergency Medicine. 17 (3): 254–6. doi:10.1016/S0196-0644(88)80118-5. PMID 3257850.

Johnson E, Kardong K, Mackessy S (1987). "Electric shocks are ineffective in treatment of lethal effects of rattlesnake envenomation in mice". Toxicon. 25 (12): 1347–9. doi:10.1016/0041-0101(87)90013-4. PMID 3438923.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....