Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by bwinters
Wife and did a good hike yesterday and I stepped on a snake about 6-7 miles from the truck. Turned out it was a garter snake but 2 years ago I stepped on a copperhead. Snakes dont bother me at all but I did get to wondering what I would do if bitten a long way from the truck. Yesterday I was a long way and about 3000 vertical feet below the truck. Normally I'd think just head to the truck but climbing that much over that distance gives the venom a pretty good running head start in your system. We run into half dozen copperheads and 2-3 rattlers every year.

What the heck is the best course of action when you are a long ways away or have a strenuous climb? Stay put and call someone or head to the truck?

The one that I carry is made by Sawyer company and is called the extractor.
I used to help run a camp and it worked on many bee stings. We didn't have an emergency after I included one with each counselor.
No cuts are to be made except with a safety razor to remove hair to acquire a better suction.

As many poisonous snakes that I've worked with, I've not yet been bitten. However, it's sold for that purpose.
After wasp stings, I often see the clear venom come to the surface. I then wipe it off with an alcohol pad.
It makes a night and day difference.

Happy guy, you give a lot of bad advice about many things and this is just another example. Google Ascelpius Snakebite Foundation and inform yourself on the topic and current approved treatments. They have a good section on snakebite kits and the Sawyer Extractor system is highlighted as one of the worst.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC