My first experience with the rifle was in 1963. I had reported for duty @ Walker Air Force Base (Roswell, NM) in April 1963. The first few days was spent in a Transient Barracks getting processed in. A couple of Jokers there wanted to know if I wanted to go hunt Jack Rabbits that night. I said "I guess so", so they told me to go to a store near the exit to the base & buy a brick of Remington .22 ammo. I did & that night we got into a 1050 Chevy coupe & went a half mile or so off base & started driving in the dessert. Turns out this was a "high cycle" for jacks & they were plentiful !! One guy drove (never me) & two of us rode on the front fenders & shot at Jacks as we jumped them. One Nylon 66 ran without fault, & the other was troublesome!! WE would have been better served with Hollowpoints, but we did OK. Fron time to time we'd have a flat & like a Nascar "pit crew", a wheel would be replaced from a trunk full of mounted spares. We kept count & when we reached 38 killed jacks TROUBLE ARRIVED. !!!! Turns out we were shooting very close to the B-52 ALERT AREA. I was new to the area & had no idea we were still close to the base. We were chased by Blue Air Force pickups for a few minutes but we made our get away !!!! I never tried night hunting jacks again. I never see a Nylon 66, or 77, or the other Models without remembering that night...

"not too grumpy"