I own and shoot/hunt with 1892, 1886, and 1895 and find them all well suited for their intended purpose and some non intended purposes such as African DG.

For successful hunting performance, I have found no reason for "hot rodding" any of them. And they are not limited to plinking bunnies or deer.
-1892 .357 magnum has been proven great for deer, feral hogs, close in varmints and such.
-1886 .45-90 has done the same for many deer-like critters, Bison, elephant, Cape Buffalo, leopard, etc.
-1895 .405 has been fun with much American deer sized game, Water buffalo, Cape Buffalo, feral hogs, warthogs, Nilgai, Red deer, and other exotics.

BTW, to me the term "Hot Rodding" means loading rifles up to or above their design limits (a risky business at best).

The same people "in the Know", have told me that low 50s are the upper safe operating pressures for the 1886 and 1895. Those were folks in the bullet and ammo business that have done extensive testing of their products. I have personally not exceeded 48,000 PSI with my ammo for the 1886 or 1895 - it was just not needed for hunting; including ele and big bad bovines. The spotted kitty was taken with a 300 grain .458 Nosler PP which nailed it to the ground - not a wiggle or flop.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/