1AK shooter:

With rear locking lever guns, it's excessive case stretch as to why I prefer to keep down pressures down around 53,000 psi. I don't care if it's a savage 99, a winchester/browning 95 or a big bore 94.

Case stretch is not only hard on the brass, it can lead to sticky extraction. Whereras, a modern bolt action has no issue at identical pressures.

AK_lanche and I experienced this with our 200 grain 308 bison-legal loads. He with a kimber montana, and I with my 99 in 308 win. His brass was perfect and extracted like butter, mine would stretch and exhibit sticky extraction due to the stretch.

As to the idiot who wanted a 60,000 psi 454 casull in a lever gun, good for him. I'd much rather have a light weight model 94 in 450 marlin at a far lower psi or a model 92 in 44 mag.

The 348 winchester, with its intense case taper, I don't think it'd bennefit from pressures beyond 53,000 psi either. Neither the wildcat off the 348 case. With all that case capacity, plenty of power to be had at lower pressures.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 06/21/20.