38 inches is max rifle size that will fit in my scabbard on my freight sled. I'm not a fan of barrels shorter than 20 inches on a hunting rifle.

At 38.25" with 20 inch barrel, The scout-scoped browning 1895 was an easy choice as a scabbard gun. No short action bolt rifle, blr, nor savage 99 could match that length.

It is a smart design. Of the modern lever guns I've owned, the browning 1895 is the simplest and easiest to clean in the field. A plug screw and a pin: the bolt is out for a deep clean of receiver and bolt.

4000 lbs of energy and trajectory flat enough for a 400 yard shot, I ain't hurting for power or trajectory for anything here in Alaska.

Feeding: The nose of the spitzer bullet is about .45" into the chamber before the case head is released from the fixed magazine feed-lips. That straight-line run to the chamber is a smart design, and very trouble free. I wish I could've said the same for my blr and savage 99. They were finicky with certain bullets.

As my travels get more remote by dog team and canoe, a gun cabinet full of guns is about useless. I've paired down to one rifle, one shotgun and one handgun. The browning 1895 made the cut.....

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07/26/20.