Originally Posted by Jericho
My daughter's moms neighbor was selected by the Reds when he was in college back in the early 90s. He went to the try outs and the coaches started them out on base running. Told us the coaches were ruthless and cut dang near everyone the first week. He said he watched the stats for a year or so for the few guys that they kept and he never saw them in the stats or on tv.

You have no idea!

My career with the Reds Organization ended with the words "You have NO Major League potential..."

Gee, wish they hadn't tried to sugar coat it! eek

Emphasis on speed in that organization? Oh yeah! I received this lecture the first day we reported. "We are the Cincinnati Reds. We play 80% of our games on artificial turf. We are looking for outstanding speed and an outstanding arm. We will teach you everything else."

As the slow white 3b in a sea of speedy bros, I was doomed. They even tried me at 1b.

Every coach had a stop watch and all we did was run early on. 60 yarders. Home to 1b. 1b to 3b. Throw, throw throw and they didn't care if I threw it 20 rows up into the stands, "just put something on it!"

First time I saw Eric Davis take batting practice, I knew I didn't belong. Don't kid yourself, big leaguers are a cut above. Only 4 of the 1985 draft picks every saw big league action. Barry Larkin was #1 pick. JG probably knows Don Wakumatsu - the catcher, and two others. Undrafted free agents advancing? Forgetaboutit!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo