Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by JGRaider
There's no substitute for velocity that's for sure. Saying used to be "we can teach a guy who throws 95mph to throw sliders and changeups, but we can't teach a guy who throws 85mph to throw 95mph. I'd have to say anymore that you're correct.

One thing that baffles me to this day.....how can everybody throw 95-100mph today, when 30 years ago a guy who threw 92mph was considered a hard thrower? Only thing I can think of is that back in earlier days, the radar gun picked up the ball a few feet after the pitcher let go of the ball, maybe almost half way to home plate. Today I believe it picks up the ball right out of the pitcher's hand. Big difference.

Can't really comment on difference in radar guns, but I do think that the kids on average are just bigger today (with or without steroids) than 30 years ago, and bigger = more velocity. Is it better mechanics? Personally find that hard to believe, given some of the funky deliveries that I see and the Tommy Johns that are performed.

You must be younger than I am, "earlier days" for me was pre-radar, LOL.

More top tier white athletic talent used to go into basketball. Now those kids are more likely to go into baseball and being taller have better biomechanics, on average, than did the pitchers a few decades back.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers