Obviously he does have legal title to the property since there is a title company involved. What amazes me is that you agreed to buy it sight unseen except what you say you only saw once from a road that you drove down. That does not seem right to me. Surely there is more to the story. A lot more. You say that your wife is a lawyer, but real estate is not her expertise. OK, I get the expertise part, but basic principles of law are basic principles of law. I don't know what state you are in, but I have some experience with Texas real estate. It is rare, but I have known of two cases of a seller backing out of a transaction before closing. Theoretically, the buyer could have sued the seller for failure to perform as also could the buyer's agent. Also, earnest money would have to be returned per the laws regarding such in your state. The reality is if the seller releases the earnest money, the most likely best thing the buyer can do is walk away and forget it. No, it is not right and all those involved loose, but it is usually not worth a big court fight. Again, it is not right, but something is wrong with this picture from the get go, the way you tell it. I sincerely hope things work out for you Monday. However, I think I would be planning on something different. I'm sorry, but I just cannot quite get my head wrapped around why on God's green earth would you buy something you had never seen, and the seller acting bat-chit crazy as well? Best of luck to you.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."