Originally Posted by kaywoodie
J. Frank Dobie stated that Lehmann’s story was the definitive white captives story.

I think Quanah pretty much talked him into going back to his family in Gillespie Co.

Wasn’t the medicine man an Apache and his murder the reason he escaped to the Comanches???

I also believe Quanah was instrumental in seeing that Lehmann received a Comanche allotment (land) at Ft. Sill as he stated he was an official member of the tribe. Lehmann went back and lived there for a while.

I have a very good friend, an old man now, who is “Comanche”. His grandmother was a captive who was adopted and put on the roll at Ft Sill. He has told me in secret that although he’s held tribal office and is officially a member he actually has no Indian blood.

Interestingly, he recently transferred title to the half section that was his mother’s Indian allotment over to his sister. He did so because he has no grandchildren and upon his death it would have reverted back to the Comanche tribe for them to do as they saw fit. But since his sister has grandchildren it can stay in the family and be passed down.