Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Personally I just can’t get into fiction about the old west when there is so much history and eyewitness accounts of said history available.
My main interest lies in the Sioux wars, but this last winter I read “The Apache Wars” by Paul Hutton. Interesting read, their treatment of captives ranged from adoption into the tribe to unbelievable torture.
At one ranch the Apaches impaled a young girl on a meat hook in the barn. She was found days later still alive hanging on that hook, but soon died. Infants with their heads smashed with rocks seemed the favorite way to finish them off.
Had never been to Arizona until this past March and it made the book come alive. I never knew Arizona was so mountainous and beautiful, would love to go back and do some extensive off-roading.

you dont have to go very far out of phoenix to get into country where this stuff happened, bloody basin is only about 40 miles north. My dad had a ranch in that area in the 20's. and he described to me areas where there were skeletons still laying on the ground.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO