[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OK, boys, I read the reviews and I bought the books.
To be fair I did read the Lehmann book 8 or 9 years ago, liked it very much but have lost it.

Any book worth reading is worth reading twice.

I am from the Southeast and have studied up on our Cherokee Indians and the Creeks. When I started driving the Big Rig out west 9 years ago I gained a fascination for the Comanches. All in all it looks like they were the biggest, and baddest tribe of all.

Going west out of Ft. Worth I often imagined a herd of 200,000 buffalo covering the plains. When I saw a creek, I thought that quite probably in 1820 there was a Comanche camp right there, the tipis and the massive horse herd.

I did read a book back then, I have since lost it as well, easy to lose stuff when you are "on the road" and you change trucks every 9 months, but it was a book about the origins of the Comanche Nation, and the first Comanches to have a horse.
In 1690 they were a small impoverished tribe in the Wyoming mountains. About a thousand people.

But, one day they got a few horses. And they had sent out scouts, and they realized that in north Texas, where Amarillo is now, there were massive buffalo herds. And if they moved down there, two warriors could hunt, on horseback, for an hour and get enough food to last the tribe 3 weeks.

So down to Texas/Oklahoma they went and their horse herds increased as did the size of the tribe. They made a practice of kidnapping Apache children, and Spanish, and later American, and adopting them in to the tribe.

Anyway it was a great book, fiction, about the beginnings of the Comanche as an Indian supertribe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
"Little Spaniard" by George Catlin. A full fledged Comanche, ca. 1835, had been kidnapped as a young boy from a Mexican settlement.