Originally Posted by JakeBlues
What's the shortest barrel you guys would suggest for a suppressed AR10 that would be a tactical to about 200 yard rifle? Working on a lighter weight build that I could carry around comfortably for shorter periods of time, that would have more killing power than an AR15, but also be decent to around 200 yards in, let's say, an urban sniping scenario. I don't have any reason for wanting such a weapon these days. Just a hypothetical question of course 🤔

Sierra's tipped game king in 165 grain 308 will reliably expand (> 1400 fps) to about 415 yards out of a 16". Can't recall the energy numbers I'd have to run them through a calculator again. Plenty to kill an elk though.

My 16" ar10 in 308 is a pussycat with my Speer TNT 125 grain handloads running about a 300 savage level charge of BLC2 out of milsurp brass. Kills everything in the South too.

Mine has a 3x prism scope and weighs less than 9.5 lbs with the optic and mag. Does great with a rugged razor, but the yhm resonator k or sandman k/s would all be great too.

Hell of a setup.

A 6.5 Grendel or 300 Ham'r will just about do the same thing and be lighter, but I like the 308 for nostalgia and commonality.

If you just want to be able to kill thin skinned mammals at 200 yards, literally any AR15 in 223/556 will do just fine with a decent bullet.