Originally Posted by billhilly
I was thinking the same thing about the spine. A hand ax or crowbar ought to get through a spine pretty quick then you’re just left fighting a two legged dog. Need to fish through the garage and throw an ax in the truck.

I just got back and saw the posts.

The reason I'm thinking another thread is it will take a little time to write and only on break wolfing down my dinner right now. Can't do that good question justice.
More will see and benefit from a new thread too. Maybe save a life.

Short answer IMHO, is to put yourself in the shoes of the kid/guy under a couple of pitt bulls, etc.

I would want my rescuer to use what he had as soon as possible and effectively remove all of these knives ripping into me as soon as possible.
As they say, what's the best gun to have on you? The one that you have. So, have weapon that offers reach. With dogs, they are quicker, and tougher than us under stress....pound for pound of the type we are talking about. When you say crow bar, that may fare better than a short blade. I like the idea of going for vitals, but one bite to your hand could make it useless. The biting pressure can break the small joints and hand bones making that side worthless.

Would I want my rescuer using an axe?
NOT unless he uses it regularly and can place accurate swings on moving dynamic targets without an overswing into me or his own leg. Under that stress, fine motor coordination is mostly gone and exaggerated motion occurs. However it DOES offer reach AND deadly power that can best sever the spine.

Briefly, kicking might get the dogs off, but not reliably. I don't count on it.
IF a firearm is to be used, you MUST get into a close to the ground angle up away from the victim.
Aim HIGH. Most are likely to be in an aukward position firing for the first time prone or next to and canting sharply upwards. Likely to pull shot low as well under more stress than ever experienced.

Lastly,

What do I have available for rescue equipment against the jive barking pit bulls with studded collars?
A. Sword that doubles as my multi-pupose farm tool.
Its used for quick pruning where the better tools aren't handy. Stays in the car most if the time. I've trained lots of guys in sword use. I don't recommend it though unless you use it a lot as it is easy to over swing. Shape is unusual. Mine gives little less than a yard reach. This one in the pic at that site is a more manageable size. Mine was originally designed for decapitating young bulls with one swing. I use it for reaching limbs and thorny bushes.
https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/18inch-panawal-no-mercy

2. Two of the longest screwdrivers that I can find. Thin square stock with 18"+- on the textured handle.
The other is a little longer and round stock.

3. Machetes:. I don't remember the length. One a filipino bolo, the other a long standard blade.
They get a lot of use. This is what I would recommend.

Use it lots and get a long stick of the same weight and balance for practice. Sticks bruise in practice. Blades are unforgiving. Training recommended. It has roughly the same reach as an axe. Benefit is the fudge factor. You don't have to make contact with a quick dynamic target with a hands breadth of blade. It's quicker, can be used:
-hacking
-slashing
-stabbing

Two long light ones are better than one. Why?
IF one hand is grabbed or destroyed, you've got the other.
Lastly, if you receive proper training, you will become a walking brush hog. You could literally defend a child from a crowd of gang bangers and their damn pit bulls.

Best regards,

Happy Camper

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/06/20.